Tuesday, December 17, 2013

I'm not a single mother....only a single woman

Maybe it was my upbringing,
Maybe it was the way I saw my immediate and extended family all pitch in 
Maybe it was the fact that we were poor and didn't know people lived different;y
Or maybe, it was the fact that 3 generations of families lived under one roof for years.

Whatever it was I appreciate the fact that I grew up in a very large family, where everyone pitched to cook, clean, share chores, babysit, help with homework, do hair, and just be there for each other. So as a divorced woman and Mother I realized that even though I was now single I was not on my own. I still have a support group that helps me out in any way needed with my children. 

I have people around me who when I'm working late nights at the Newspaper, or just need some "me" time, will pitch in without hesitation and scoop her up from school. I have best friends who will watch her while I'm working the video camera late nights at the Mosque. I've been Blessed with people who will keep my pre-teen son for the weekend, take him to the movies, buy him video games, or take him to the barber shop.

So yes, I'm Blessed.

Though being a single woman can be overwhelming when at the end of the day everything falls on your shoulder, and you try not to stress out, there's comfort in knowing that you are not alone.

So no, I won't tell people I'm a single mother, no pity parties here, no victims, and no woe is me speech, we all make our own choices and we have to live with and be ok with the outcome. I have been blessed to have good men in my life who take care of their children, and would give their last dime for them, so no complaints here.



No comments:

Post a Comment